Thursday, May 24, 2012

Random Colorado learnin...

So I just returned from a wonderful trip home in colorful Colorado. It was fantastic and I was quite sad to leave. I love my Florida family so much and they have truly changed my life. Not to mention Florida has been a huge jumping off point to finding the real me. I feel I have "grown up" and discovered I can handle things I didn't think possible, little things, like missing a flight and having to reschedule, or having to take care a house without your parents asking you to, or even just knowing when to change the oil. Things we don't always think about, they can be hard but they are signs that we are all growing and learning. For that I extremely grateful to Florida for teaching me these things and giving myself the assurance that I can take care of myself, even if sometimes I don't choose to see it. As great as Florida is I don't think I could stay here forever it's just not my cup of tea, we shall see in the next little while if this holds true. There is something enchanting about the mountains and the atmosphere of the west, particularly Colorado.

There is a different view point out there a closer to God view point and connection with the outdoors that can't be beat. I found this to be true when I went for a long walk in the woods and later fell asleep on a rock. I awoke to startled deer that bounded through the trees when I awoke. There is a peace found in the mountains that is so still and so spiritual you can't know until you have felt it. I have felt it in Florida wilderness as well but the mountains are my element.

So what else did I learn on my Colorado visit? Well I learned how much I really do love my family and friends. I have been so blessed with a foundation of people that have taught me so much. They are amazing and I hope they all know that. They have all changed me for good,  even those that have hurt me, they have made me stronger in more ways than I can understand right now. That is one thing that makes leaving places so hard, the people. People are crazy and stupid, they are beautiful and we cannot go through life with out touching each other. We need each other to thrive and to grow and to become closer to God. He commanded us to love one another, well you can't really do that unless you have others in your life to love.

Here is the most amazing thing that I learned in Colorado. When I went for that walk and fell asleep in the forest I had a personal revelation. I'm not going into detail, but heres a little part of the peace I felt on that pretty day. I was thinking about praying in the forest and asking Heavenly Father for guidance and help with the future and I got to thinking about Joseph Smith and his prayer in the forest that changed history and brought about my religion. I thought to myself do I need to ask as he did about what church is true and if Heavenly Father was really there...? Then came the bounding deer through the forest and the sun shinning through the trees and I knew. I knew he was there and he was listening to me and I knew I knew!!! I know that sounds silly but it was a very profound moment for me. Then I reflected on the times that I have sought out what I know to be true. I felt an overwhelming feeling that I didn't need to ask about the truth, I already knew it and I knew that I was willing to give anything to protect it. I knew I knew... How many can look at what they believe and know they know it?

So there was a little glimpse of my little awe-ha moment in the forest, it's a little weird but for me it was very peaceful. I am so glad I have my knowledge of the gospel that gives me my foundation for my life. I am grateful for all religion that gives us all a goal and reason to live. I know everyone has truth and I know that Heavenly Father loves those who believe in something divine and greater than them. I wish we could all see this and not judge and punish others for their belief. We all have our reasons to believe and we all have our spiritual confirmations that have led us to what we know, who are we to decide who is right and who is wrong...?

Those were just a couple of the things learned in Colorado. Colorado my dear friend we are not done, that is for sure. I hope to return to your spirit to share your lessons with my future family. Colorado you are a blessed place in a promised land. I will return I don't know when, it could be years but I will return...


No comments:

Post a Comment